WHO Poll
Q:



Alan 12:59 Thu Jan 24
Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
BBC

Liverpool have joined Bayern Munich in the race to sign Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, 18. (Bild - in German)

Thierry Henry is set to be sacked as manager of Monaco after just three months in charge, with the man he replaced, Leonardo Jardim, to take over from him. (Mirror)

Borussia Dortmund are interested in signing Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha, 26, in the summer as the German club look for a replacement for Christian Pulisic, who will be joining Chelsea. (Guardian)

Paris St-Germain are set to beat Chelsea to the signing of Zenit St Petersburg's Argentine midfielder Leandro Paredes, 24. (Telegraph)

Ajax midfielder Frenkie de Jong, 21, says he spoke with both Manchester City and Paris-St Germain before deciding to join Barcelona. (NOS, via Mirror)

Tottenham could join the race to sign PSG's 23-year-old midfielder Adrien Rabiot, who has also been linked with Barcelona and Bayern Munich. (France Football, via Star)

Chelsea and Nigeria wing-back Victor Moses, 28, is set to complete a loan move to Fenerbahce until the end of the season. (Goal)

Arsenal manager Unai Emery has called for a "calm" and "patient" response to the imminent departure of head of recruitment Sven Mislintat. (Independent)

The Gunners' proposed sale of Aaron Ramsey, 28, would meet with the approval of Wales boss Ryan Giggs, who says the midfielder will improve as a player by moving to a "top-class" club like Juventus. (Sky Sports)

Spanish midfielder Denis Suarez, 25, looks set to remain at Barcelona until the end of the season after talks regarding a move to Arsenal broke down. (ESPN)

Paris St-Germain remain interested in 29-year-old Everton midfielder Idrissa Gueye, but no formal offers have been made, despite a rumoured £22m bid earlier this week. (Liverpool Echo)

Real Madrid defender Marcelo, 30, wants to be reunited with former team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo at Juventus, and has told bosses at the Bernabeu "if they make an offer for me, you have to let me go". (Marca via Tuttosport)

Huddersfield Town are closing in on a £2m deal for Charlton Athletic's 21-year-old striker Karlan Grant, who has also been linked with Middlesbrough, West Brom and Rangers. (Mail)

Watford are increasingly confident that 26-year-old midfielder Abdoulaye Doucoure will remain at the club until at least the end of the season, despite a proposed £50m bid from Paris St-Germain. (Evening Standard)

Newcastle are looking to sign two players on loan before the end of the week after bids were made for Monaco's Italian defender Antonio Barreca, 23, and Atletico Madrid's Portgual winger Gelson Martins, 23. (Telegraph)

Crystal Palace keeper Wayne Hennessey, 32, faces a five-match ban after being charged by the FA for making an alleged Nazi salute in a photo posted on Instagram. (Mail)

Premier League clubs generated £7.6bn for the economy, according to analysis published on Thursday and they are likely to use the findings to push for new immigration arrangements allowing them to sign players from all over the world after Brexit. (Times - subscription required)




Guardian Rumour Mill

Simon Burnton

According to the front page of TuttoSport the idea of Andrea Belotti moving from Torino to West Ham “is no joke”. As headlines go it’s not the most encouraging, but just a year or so ago this would have been the sort of proposition that nobody of sound mind would have dared make, with Real Madrid, Manchester United, Milan and Chelsea among the superclubs being linked with the prolific Italian and his employers frantically inserting a €100m release clause into his contract. Since then his form has dipped and football’s biggest chequebooks have been taken elsewhere, allowing clubs of West Ham’s slightly less exalted stature to sneak into the picture.

The 25-year-old might fit the Marko Arnautovic-shaped hole they are about to have in their squad, and when Gianluca Petrachi, Torino’s sporting director, was asked about the club’s transfer business yesterday he scoffed: “Signings? The problem is trying to bat away the offers for our jewels.” The Hammers meanwhile continue to chase a deal with Celta Vigo for the £40m-rated Uruguayan striker Maxi Gómez, says the Mail, though whether he or Belotti is top of their shopping list remains to be seen. Tuttosport, incidentally, also carries an interview with Internazionale’s Manchester United target Martin Skriniar, in which he dismisses any possibility of him leaving Milan this month.

Manchester City insist they were not snubbed by Frenkie de Jong, who agreed a €75m (£65.3m) move to Barcelona on Wednesday, but that instead it was they doing the snubbing. “They refused to get caught up in an auction” for the 21-year-old, trumpets the Mirror, and also “refused to bid or match De Jong’s staggering £307,000-a-week salary”. It wasn’t just money that Barcelona promised, though: according to Diario AS they assuaged the Dutchman’s fears that his path to the first team might be blocked by their existing superstars by promising a summer clearout: not only will fringe players like Jasper Cillessen, Malcom and Denis Suárez be on their way, but Ivan Rakitic (whose contract is running down), Philippe Coutinho (whose form has been poor) and Samuel Umtiti (whose injury record is terrible) are believed to have been deemed surplus to requirements.

In further Spanish-based superstar news, AS also report that Isco has decided that he is only prepared to work with the Real Madrid coach Santiago Solari for a matter of months and will therefore strop off to “the likes of Manchester City, Internazionale, Juventus or Paris Saint-Germain” in the summer unless the unpopular tactician gets the boot. The player, we’re told, “doesn’t want to leave”, but his “future is dependent on that of his boss – it’s one or the other”.

Thierry Henry, appointed Monaco coach in October after the sacking of Leonardo Jardim, is about to be sacked as Monaco coach to make way for none other than Leonardo Jardim, says both the Mirror and the Express, who decry the “wretched start” to Henry’s managerial career. The Monégasques are also about to sign Atlético Madrid’s Gelson Martins, reports the Mail, which will disappoint the winger’s rival suitors, Newcastle. They haven’t given up yet, though: the Telegraph insist the Geordies still hope to sign Martins on loan, and take Antonio Barreca from Monaco on similar terms for good measure.

Huddersfield are hopeful of trying up a deal for the Charlton striker Karlan Ahearne-Grant, whose contract is up in the summer and who will thus cost a trifling £2m. Middlesbrough, West Bromwich Albion and Brentford have also been linked with the 21-year-old, who has scored 14 times in 27 league appearances this season.





Sport Witness

‘Obsession’ to sign West Ham player, and club will ‘insist’ on transfer until close of window

Marca get to the point with their Thursday headline on Valencia interest in Javier Hernandez.

The Spanish newspaper shout ‘Obsession with Chicharito’, and say Los Che will ‘insist’ on signing the West Ham player until the end of the transfer window.

Valencia plan to focus all their efforts on the move because they feel the Mexican is the player who ‘most fits’ where they’re trying to go with the team.

They need a number 9, someone who has a knack of scoring goals, whether that be off their foot or backside. Marca say the club are going to throw everything at getting the signing, and further state ‘it’s become an obsession’.

From West Ham’s perspective, it’s stated the Premier League are waiting until the end of the market, because they’re working themselves to bring someone in. Without that, they don’t imagine letting a forward go.

It’s once again claimed that terms have already been agreed between Valencia and Hernandez, with the footballer agreeing to lower his salary if he’s to make the move.

Whilst in Spain they want a loan, and it’s claimed the striker is keen on that too, West Ham would prefer a permanent transfer… so even if a replacement arrives this one isn’t going to be straightforward.




HITC

West Ham closing in on Celta Vigo's Maxi Gomez

Olly Dawes

West Ham United are allegedly closing in on Maxi Gomez.

According to Galiciapress, West Ham United are close to signing Celta Vigo hitman Maxi Gomez, and could be a matter of hours away from striking a deal.

The Hammers have been linked with a host of strikers this month, mostly because Marko Arnautovic and Javier Hernandez have both been linked with exits.

When West Ham wanted a striker over the summer, they were strongly linked with a bid for Celta hitman Gomez, and he appears to be back on the radar.

Galiciapress – one of the local press in Vigo – report that West Ham are nearing a deal worth around €40million (£35million) but shy of his £43.5million release clause.

It's claimed that boss Manuel Pellegrini is a huge fan of Gomez, and the Uruguayan striker himself is keen to play under the Chilean in a South American double act.

If true, this is a huge deal for West Ham. Gomez, 22, has hit nine goals and five assists in 18 games for Celta this season, continuing to star in La Liga.

Gomez was exceptional last season, scoring 17 goals in his first La Liga campaign following a move from Defensor Sporting, and he now looks to be nearing a move to London.

A burly forward with power, aerial prowess and finishing ability, Gomez would be the prototypical target man for Pellegrini, but such a huge striker signing would raise question marks about Arnautovic's future once again.





Sport Witness

‘It’s not a joke’ – West Ham ‘concrete’ signing intention is front page news in Europe

West Ham appear to have a £40m budget to spend on a striker during the January window, with the prospect of Marko Arnautovic leaving still present.

There have been multiple claims around the European media about approaches and offers for players, and one of those named has been Andrea Belotti.

The 25 year old has nine goals for Torino so far this season, and in the past he’s been the subject of transfer rumours suggesting a fee of €100m.

Those times have gone and despite the club captain still being an important player, and loved by the fans, he’s not kicked on in the way which would justify such a price.

Thursday’s edition of Tuttosport carries West Ham interest on the front page.

Declaring ‘It’s not a joke’, they say the Hammers are ‘ready to assault’.

As it stands, Torino chairman Urbano Cairo ‘says no’, but it’s made clear that could change. No offer has arrived at €45m or over, at which point it’s suggested things could change, but interest from the English club is described as ‘concrete’.

Cairo loves the player, and he knows full well, as explained by Tuttosport, that selling Belotti and signing Jese on loan from PSG wouldn’t go down at all well with the club’s support.

Simone Zaza was signed last summer and he has one Serie A goal all season, which came in September against Chievo.




C&H

Irons reveal striker target unavailable until summer

West Ham have this morning publicly confirmed their interest in Maxi Gomez for the first time.

There have of course been many media reports covering the story but until now the club has given no official word on whether the speculation is real or simply transfer window gossip.

However, with new stories emerging today that the club has reopened talks with Celta Vigo in a bid to clinch a deal CandH approached the club for confirmation.

And the response was more than a little interesting with the club making it clear they held an interest in the 22 year old.

However, the downside is that there can be no January switch for the £40 million rated striker.

A senior Hammers source – speaking to CandH on the phone said: “Yes we are interested in the player but the situation is that he will not become available until the summer.”

That also confirms that Marko Arnautovic will be allowed to leave the club but may well have to wait until the end of the season to do so.



Evening Standard

West Ham star Manuel Lanzini returns to training as he steps up recovery from knee injury

West Ham midfielder Manuel Lanzini has returned to light training as he continues his recovery from the serious knee injury he suffered before the World Cup.

The 25-year-old playmaker joined in with first-team training for the first time yesterday.

Although the Argentina international is still some way off being ready for a comeback, his return to training is a major boost for Hammers boss Manuel Pellegrini.

Lanzini had surgery on his right knee in June after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament while training with Argentina on the eve of the World Cup.

Meanwhile, right-back Ryan Fredericks could return against AFC Wimbledon in the FA Cup on Saturday after more than two months out with a shin injury.



Replies - Newest Posts First (Show In Chronological Order)

Mex Martillo 8:09 Thu Jan 24
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Thanks Alan

Texas Iron 6:23 Thu Jan 24
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Cheers...

Fivetide 4:35 Thu Jan 24
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Thanks Alan.

Quite exciting if f these rumours are turning into solid prospects.

Percy Dalton 3:44 Thu Jan 24
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Thanks Alan

Russ of the BML 3:05 Thu Jan 24
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Darby_ 1:05 Thu Jan 24

Or unless Pea goes.

Alan 1:38 Thu Jan 24
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
C&H and Lanzini stories added.

Darby_ 1:05 Thu Jan 24
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
I thought we had to sell before we could afford Maxi?

I won’t be holding my breath unless Arnie goes.

Thanks Alan 1:02 Thu Jan 24
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
bill green 1:00 Thu Jan 24

bill green 1:00 Thu Jan 24
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Thanks Alan





Copyright 2006 WHO.NET | Powered by: